CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Three Little Pigs


Gathering Activity: Pink Pig Cotton Ball Masks
 


I have been in love with these adorable masks since I first saw these over a year ago here at  A Bushel and A Peck

We made sure to spray paint cotton balls pink and to cut out all the pieces BEFORE class.   Then we assembled them together as the kids arrived.





 



Circle Time

 


 Inspired by a wonderful article on Imagination Soup about the importance of sharing Fairy Tales with kids, we read a favorite Golden Book version of The Three Little Pigs(Yes, I do recognize the irony of being inspired by her wonderful article and then using a Disney version of the fairy tale.  However, in this instance, I felt like the essential lessons of hard work were still taught without the need of the wolf devouring the first 2 pigs.  My older sons have heard that version, but I spared my 2 year old...for now). 

We used these great flannel board story pieces to retell the story. I bought ours at Kaplan's Learning Company.   



However if you don't already have your own, I found a link for characters here at Preschool Printables.
http://www.preschoolprintables.com/felt/3pigs/feltpig.shtml

Fingerplays:
We sang "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?" and "This Little Piggy Went to Market."


Art: Piggy Pudding Painting
 

We printed a picture of a pig onto pink construction paper for each child.  Then we gave each child a small cup of chocolate pudding to finger paint their piggy with “mud.”   


This was so funny to watch.  We didn't tell them it was chocolate at first.  Then when we did, they hesitantly tasted it, then dove in whole heartedly.




Except for one little guy.  We couldn't convince him to try the "mud."  He gave us this great "You have got to be kidding me!" look.  He also opted to use a paintbrush over his fingers.    I share this to show that it is important to let each child to control his or her own experiences on their own terms.   We want the children to enjoy themselves and we want to expose them to opportunities to try new things.  However we do not want to make any little ones to feel pressured . 



Snack: Piggy Bagel
I searched the internet and I think I found the absolute cutest piggy snack out there at I Heart Crafty Things. 



It was also very yummy and fairly healthy.  The only thing we did differently was to use 100% Fruit strips cut into thin slices in place of the licorice.   

Activities

1-One of our moms made this adorable 3 sided house.  (inspired by an idea found here).   The kids had fun acting out the story of the three little pigs with the house, pigs, and wolf.  





 

2-We brought out several different building materials and allowed the children and their moms to build their own house and to blow their own house down like the wolf.  We provided Duplo blocks, Lincoln Logs, wooden blocks, and Magnatiles.




 

12 comments:

Karla

Love the Piggy Pudding Painting! Too cute!

Megan

Just found your blog from Pinterest and I'm so glad I did. You're book club is the cutest idea ever. I can not wait to use some of your ideas with my boys. Thank you!

Melissa

This is awesome! I host my 10 nieces and nephews every Saturday night and have been wanting to start incorporating more themed activities along with read aloud opportunities. I know what we're doing this Saturday!

Unknown

What a fantastic book club! You came up with great hands on learning activities for the kids.
The Piggy Pudding Painting has put a huge smile on my face!! I LOVE it! And the picture of the child devouring it is so awesome!

Kim @ Little Stories

This is the never-ending language activity. The amount of repetition of concepts is sure to bring home the point and THIS is the magic of good lesson planning (even at home). Wow!

Stacy of KSW

So much fun, my kid love doing 3 little pig themed activities. I know we'll be trying many of these!

Crystal Underwood

Fantastic post!! So many great ideas, I had tp pin it for future reference :)

Jackie Higgins

I love the piggie painting! Totally agree on the need for more fairy tales. We'll have to try some of these ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Ticia

I love the houses you made. They're so cute!

Unknown

All of these activities are FANTASTIC! I can't get over how cute those 3-sided houses are. Such an awesome idea!

Thanks so much for featuring my Piggy snack. So glad you enjoyed it and I love your change with using the fruit strips.

I'm off to explore your blog more. :)

Unknown

I love everything. JDaniel would love to eat like a pig!

Unknown

Dear Danielle, thank you very much for the great activity ideas for the story about the three little pigs. I'm writing to let you know that I included a link to them on our website blog. You can find it in today's blog post.

http://www.kidsacademy.mobi/storytime/

Thank you very much again!

Anna
Kid's Academy Company

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing from the readers of my blog. It makes my day! I have recently had a lot of inappropriate spam that has snuck through, so I am turning on the moderation of comments for a short time, to see if it helps. I am so sorry for any inconvience this may cause, but I want to remain a family friendly blog. -Danielle @Mommy and Me Book Club