CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Room For A Little One

Room For A Little One by Martin Waddell



Gathering Activity: Sticker Nativity Set 





I found this super cute Sticker Nativity Set  that come in a pack of 12 on amazon.   They were the perfect size for our 2 and 3 year olds.  Some were able to peel and stick them easily. Others just needed Mommy to get them started, and then they could place them.    






I gave each child a set of stickers and a large piece of black card stock.  We allow the children to arrange the nativity as they wished.  It was really interesting to see how many of them actually arranged the stickers in the traditional way.  My little one placed Mary and Joseph in the stable.  When I asked her where she was going to put Baby Jesus, she replied, "With His peoples."  

    




Circle Time:  Room For a Little One by Martin Waddell 






I love Martin Waddell's Christmas story, Room for a Little One.  I collect children's books, and have over 75 Christmas ones.  The illustrations in this one are my VERY FAVORITE in any Christmas book EVER!!!!   Hands down!  The story tells a tale of a kind ox in a stable who invites a dog, cat, and mouse to share the warmth of his barn. He tells each in turn, "That there is always room for a little one here."  Then a tired donkey comes looking for a place to rest.  The animals warmly welcome him and Mary and Joseph into their stable.  And then Jesus is born in the beauty of this welcoming place.  



We sang “Silent Night” and “Away in a Manger” together after the story.





I had placed the pieces to a child friendly nativity set into a box.  I allowed each child to choose a piece and place it in our nativity.  We talked about the roles each played in the Christmas story. 


Art: Manger Craft

Materials needed: small clay saucers, paint, raffia, wooden doll peg,  small felt squares, twine





1-Paint the clay saucers brown.  



2-Fill bottom with glue. 



3-Add the raffia "hay". 



4- Wrap the peg in a small piece of felt and tie with twine or piece of raffia. (obviously this required parent help).


5-Add a glob of glue on the hay and place the baby on the glue. 




Snack: Christmas Star Cookies

We provided the kids with star cookies and yellow icing and sprinkles and they knew just what to do! 
(If you pour the sprinkles on their plate, they can grasp and place them on their cookies.  FABULOUS fine motor skill practice)!!!  






Activities:

1-Always Room for a Little One Game




I drew a simple outline of a stable on  large brown butcher paper and placed it on the floor.  One child stood in the stable.  One at a time, each child asks if they can come in.  Those in the stable say, “There’s always room for a little one here!”  We played until ALL OF US were in the stable together.  One of our little girls very sweetly motioned her hands to come in when each child asked and then pulled them in to join her in the stable.  They took turns doing this a few times.   (I did not manage to get a good picture of the actual stable!  I was focused too much on their cute playacting)! 


2-Nativity Exploration 




We had different child friendly nativities for the children to play with and costumes!  We played Christmas music in the background while the children played. 

4 comments:

Thaleia@Something2Offer

Wow, so glad I found this post! We own that book and our youngest will be old enough this year to craft through the season! Thanks so much for sharing:)

Carrie

What great activities!!

Unknown

We received this book for Christmas! My daughter will be 2-1/2 next Christmas. I can't wait to do these activities with her. I, too, found you on Pinterest. This blog is an incredible resource! Thank you so much for taking the time/energy to do it! <3

Lesli and Rebecca

Danielle - I love this! Can use one of your pictures and link to this for our December preschool plan for my class on Schoolhouse Teachers Website? Please email me at lesli.richards@att.net and let me know if it would be ok. This is one of the best nativity crafts I have seen for preschoolers.
Blessings,
Lesli Richards

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing from the readers of my blog. It makes my day! I have recently had a lot of inappropriate spam that has snuck through, so I am turning on the moderation of comments for a short time, to see if it helps. I am so sorry for any inconvience this may cause, but I want to remain a family friendly blog. -Danielle @Mommy and Me Book Club